Thursday, June 28, 2007

Carpal Tunnel Release Surgery

I am only 24 and I've had Sugery for Carpal Tunnel.



Carpal tunnel Syndrom Facts


  • The lifetime risk for CTS is around 10% of the adult population

  • more common in women than it is in men

  • it can occur at any age, but has a peak incidence around age 42

  • the most common comment people have when you tell them you've had/are having carpal tunnel surgery is "oh yea, my grandmother had that."



symptoms


  • numbness and paresthesia

  • Difficulty gripping and making a fist, dropping objects, and weakness (you can never seem to turn the lock on the door at work)

  • in early stages of individuals often mistakenly blame the tingling and numbness on restricted blood circulation and they believe their hands are simply "falling asleep". I decided to go to the Doctor after my hands were asleep for 12 hours straight.



8 comments:

The Stromberg Epic said...

Eddie,
I am sorry you had to have surgery, but at least there is something to help for that. I hope you are having a fun time in Belgium! Make sure you bring back chocolate! Yum!!

Ann-Marie said...

ouch!

Chester B. said...

Eddie,

I'm sorry to hear about the pain...

Do you have some awesome wrist braces now?

Kirsten said...

yeah I had the awesomest wrist braces ever.

Em said...

My mom had surgery for that. Since I use sign language and type a lot I'm at risk too. My friend had to quit her job (hair stylist) because she was getting carpal tunnel. It's more common than most people think. But being one of the masses doesn't leave much comfort when you're under the knife. Sorry about the bad deal, Eddie. Hope you feel better!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kirsten!!!

it's me! wendy, friend of Aki en Dennis, you saw on the wedding!!!
how are you?!!
I read about your carpal tunnel syndrom...we learned this at school...we had to learn all the symptoms, revalidation and stuff...
After the surgery, you will have to recover but afterwards, you'll be as healthy as you were before!

sorry for my english, but this is a good exercice when we come to america!!!
big kisses!
wendy

Kimberly said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. That happens to me sometimes, but without the tingling. It lasts for a day or two, and then goes away. It's weird because you can't pick stuff up. For me, it only hurts when I turn my wrist a certain direction. I can grip things, I just can't hold them because the weight of them hurts my wrist. Trying to grab milk out of the fridge is the worst.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, I understand, sort of. I hope the surgery went well and that you are fine now.

Emily A. said...

carpal tunnel eh? that sucks...sorry eddie