Saturday, March 26, 2005

C2G

I am an international relations major, trained to write persuasive papers, analyze data and theorize about things which can never really be tested. I am not trained in the art of marketing, graphic design, or any of that kind of stuff. Yet I still managed to wind up as PR co-chair of the choose to give campaign. This means I am in charge of the things everybody sees or reads, or something like that.

While walking to some choose to give event this week, some girl behind me said,

“the choose to give publicity is sooo bad. Did you see [poster a] what is that? and [poster b] what was the supposed to mean?”

Like I said I am not trained in publicity, but the she named two of four of our posters and knew what they were advertising. Isn’t that good?

I was talking to one of my friends and he began to talk about the posters too. “What is up with the choose to give posters? Ok they are funny, but I actually stood there and read one of them to really understand what they were about.”

Once again how bad could advertising be when it entices you to read a little closer and maybe gather more information about what is being advertised?

Granted I know it wasn’t the best publicity, but as far as I am concerned it was a success. The posters weren’t like other things on campus, people thought they were funny (despite my inherent characteristic of being “not funny”—22 feb. blog), and people remembered them. Besides what ads are remembered any way?? The weird ones! You all remember ricola and mentos.

Oh well I guess this blog must be hard for some people to picture because they haven’t seen the posters. I’ll see what I can do to get them up here. When it all comes down to it, it doesn’t matter if the publicity was weird; there are still people on campus who need help or could greatly benefit from a 5 dollar donation you might make. If you say you don’t have money to give, think over the last few things you spent money on. Now tell me you couldn’t have done with out one of them. Some people really can’t give and I understand that. Choose to Give is all about giving what you can so that other people can be helped a lot and we are in the end all better off.

No comments: